Crowe & Shanahan | The Social Security Law Group

Can’t work because of a disability? Call us Toll-Free at 📞 1-877-213-7793 or Locally at 📞 314-231-6660

No initial fees and no fees until your claim is approved.

Can you get benefits for anxiety?

On Behalf of | Mar 12, 2021 | Social Security Disability

Disabilities of any sort can make it hard or even impossible to hold down a normal job. Unfortunately, this makes it hard to make ends meet. On top of that, physical disabilities get the most attention when it comes to benefit eligibility.

But did you know that people can also apply for benefits due to mental health issues?

Types of anxiety disorders

Social Security lists the mental disorders present in adults that might qualify for benefits. Many different disorders fall under numerous categories, like depressive disorders or intellectual disorders. Anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders fall under the same category.

Individual disorders that fall under this category include panic disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder. This is not an exhaustive list, and other disorders may potentially fall under this grouping as well. Note that this category does not include disorders categorized as related to stressors or trauma, which have their own grouping.

Shared signs and symptoms

These disorders often share similar groupings of symptoms. For example, they share excessive worry, anxiety, fear and apprehension. Another commonly shared characterization is avoidance. This includes avoidance of thoughts, activities, feelings, objects, people or places.

Many also share the same physical and mental effects. Muscle tension, sleep disturbance and panic attacks are common. Victims also often suffer from fatigue, restlessness and a high difficulty with concentration. Physical complaints often tie to the near-constant fears about safety and various other matters that people with anxiety deal with.

If you suffer from these symptoms or a disorder that falls under this category, consider contacting a legal professional. They can help walk you through the process of applying for benefits.