Crowe & Shanahan
Serving Clients Throughout Eastern Missouri and Southern Illinois
If you can't work because of a disability, call
1-877-213-7793 | 314-231-6660

Can you receive both SSD and workers' compensation?

If you have been working and have suffered a job-related injury, you may have qualified for benefits due to that injury, such as workers' compensation benefits. Payments from these benefits can help you financially during your recovery from your injuries or medical condition, as they provide for both medical services and make up a portion of your income.

Now, if the injury or occupational disease was severe enough, you may find that you are out of work for a year or more and in the most serious cases, you may realize that you are unlikely to ever return to the work you did previously. Depending on your circumstance, that may mean that you will be unable to find any work.

At this point, you may begin to look to the long term, and perhaps even speak with an attorney about obtaining Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. SSDI can provide a benefit that can help to make up for your missing income due to your inability to work.

You may even obtain SSDI benefits while you are still receiving your state workers' compensation payments. If so, you should keep few issues in mind.

One item to note about SSD is that if you receive both workers' compensation and SSD benefits, they cannot equal more than 80 percent of your average current earnings prior to your disabling injury.

If you exceed the 80 percent figure, your SSD benefit will be reduced by your excess total benefits above that amount. So, if you had earned $3,000 per month, 80 percent of your combined workers' compensation and SSD payments would be $2,400 per month. If you received benefits in excess of $2,400, your SSD would be reduced by any amount above the $2,400 amount.

These numbers can be affected by the type of benefit received; for instance, Veterans Administrations benefits are not counted in this determination and if you have changes in your benefit status, you must report changes to the Social Security Administration.

Source:, "How Workers' Compensation And Other Disability Payments May Affect Your Benefits," Social Security Administration, June 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information