Crowe & Shanahan | The Social Security Law Group

Can’t work because of a disability? Call us Toll-Free at 📞 1-877-213-7793 or Locally at 📞 314-231-6660

No initial fees and no fees until your claim is approved.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Severe Impairment Claims
  4.  » 
  5. Can My Family Get Benefits?
  6.  » Widow Or Widower Benefits

Securing Benefits For Surviving Spouses

Whether your loved one’s passing was expected or sudden, it is devastating when a spouse dies. If your spouse received SSDI benefits before death, losing these benefits can create a lot of stress that prevents you from grieving properly.

At Crowe & Shanahan, our benefits attorneys want to help you during this emotional time. We are here to advise you on the type of financial support you may be entitled to receive. Since 1985, our Missouri firm has secured benefits for disabled individuals and their family members.

You don’t have to face this distressful situation alone. Contact our St. Louis office online to get in touch with a skilled lawyer who cares.

Qualifying For Survivor Benefits

Not all widows or widowers are eligible to receive social security survivors benefits. When you meet with us, we will give you an honest assessment of your case and your legal options. We do not charge legal fees for a consultation, so you have nothing to lose by speaking with us.

Widows or widowers must meet these qualifications to receive disability benefits:

  • Be at least 50 years old if you have a disability or at least 60 years old if you do not
  • Have been married for at least a decade to a spouse who was covered by SSDI at the time of his or her passing
  • Have been married to a spouse who received benefits for at least seven years prior to his or her death

If you satisfy these requirements, there are other factors that may affect the percentage of the benefits that you are entitled to receive.

Filing For Benefits

Our lawyers will help you apply for these benefits, so you can be certain that your paperwork is complete and submitted to the correct agency.

In addition to a death certificate, you may need to provide this information:

  • Your social security number
  • Your deceased spouse’s social security number and birth certificate
  • Your marriage certificate
  • Tax forms

When you hire us, we will act promptly to begin this process. As your advocate, we will do everything in our power to lessen your financial concerns. You can depend on us to guide you through this process as efficiently as possible.

Talk To Us Today

You can easily reach us at 1-877-213-7793 or 314-231-6660 or by completing our online form. Arrange your free consultation today.